Wednesday, February 19, 2014

When I Grow Up I Want To Be Like Mesa Pate


 If you have picked up the most recent issue of the Western Horseman you saw a striking brunette gracing the cover. Mesa Pate is a household name among the top bucking bull stock contractors in the PBR business. She burst onto the scene launching her career several years back with a bull by the name of Highway 12. This bull went on to be a contender for the PBR Bucking Bull of the Year, PBR Finals bucking bull, and PBR short round bull.  

This Montana raised cowgirl comes from a long line of horsemen and cattlemen. She is the daughter of the renowned horse trainers and clinicians, Curt & Tammy Pate.  She has a genuine appreciation for the ranching lifestyle and in my mind is the true definition of a cowgirl. Mesa Pate is the type of girl that knew what she wanted, so she did it. She started into the bucking bull business as a fresh teenager barely out of high school and within a short time was a name that was well respected in the PBR stock contracting business. She’s humble, she’s gorgeous, she’s handy and she’s the epitome of a wicked woman of the west. 
Mesa was kind enough to answer a few questions for my first blog interview, thanks Mesa!
 
1) Why bucking bulls?
MESA: Well, I don't have a very good answer for that.  I've just always really liked rough stock, both bulls and horses.  But once I had the opportunity to be around bulls a little I just loved them.  Then I ended up having a decent eye for them, so sometimes it actually works out!
 
2) What has been the biggest challenge in life and how did you overcome it?
MESA: I can't think of a certain period of time that was more difficult than another.  I think we are all faced with challenges constantly.  Right now I'm going through figuring out what direction to go with my business, and it's hard.  I'm also dealing with some personal things that are hard.  But the great thing about having livestock is that they don't care if you are so stressed, embarrassed or sad to get out of bed.  They still need to be taken care of.  And as corny as it sounds, the little things like a horse understanding something you have been trying to teach it, or a bull bucking and kicking across the pasture when they feel good just make it alright.  I think as long as you realize how blessed you are, even if things aren't going exactly right, then there's no reason to quit.
 
3) Who has been the most influential person(s) in your life?
MESA: My parents and grandparents for sure.  I have a bunch of handy, strong, smart, awesome people in my family.  
 
4) What's the greatest piece of advice you've been given?
MESA: I've been given a lot of great advice that I definitely can't remember word for word, but I think the best and for me the most memorable quote I've heard is "don't let success get to your head and don't let failure get to your heart."
 
5) You work in a primarily male dominated sport, how did you 'break through' and earn respect as a female stock contractor?
MESA: I try to never think about being a female because it honestly doesn't matter.  You don't deserve any more respect than anyone else just because you are a girl doing what people look at as a man's job.  If you act respectfully you will be respected.  If you are good at what you do you will be respected.  If you are kind to people you will be respected.  Just be humble.  And sometimes they won't respect you no matter what you do or how well you do it.  But as long as you always try to do the right thing, be respectful and put your livestock first, you can at least respect yourself.    
 
6) Do you ever feel pressure being in the spotlight? If so, how do you handle it?
MESA: Yeah, I do.  I'm a pretty private person, more so now than a couple years ago.  To handle it I just think about how important it is to share our industry and that I need to do my part to do that.  
 
7) What's on your bucket list?
MESA: Go to Europe, which I am doing in June!  I also want to see Alaska and Patagonia.  I love traveling.  I also want to write a book. 
 
8) Tell us about the best horse you've ever rode?
MESA: I've been lucky to ride some really good ones.  The one I'd probably pick over any is my little bay horse, Dakota.  He isn't anything fancy, but he is honest and will do whatever you ask of him.  He's the one I feel comfortable going out and roping anything on.  He's taught me more than any other horse. 

 
9) What's your favorite movie or tv show?
MESA: My favorite movie is All the pretty horses.  My favorite TV show is probably Friends.
 
10) What's on your ipod?
MESA: Oh man, I'm such a music freak.  And I like such a variety.  In the span of about ten songs I will have artists like the lumineers, George Jones, Beethoven, Ian Tyson and Lil Wayne.  Music is probably my only big hobby outside of anything to do with horses and cattle. 
 
11) The most interesting place you've ever visited?
MESA: Probably Hawaii.  The culture there is so cool, the country is amazing and the food is outstanding.  I've been really lucky to spend time with locals when I've been there and see the ranching heritage and visit places away from the white sandy, tourist beaches..
 
12) What's your favorite fashion statement?
MESA: Creased jeans for sure.  And a great pair of boots.  I'm really not a fashion person.  I like cute clothes as much as the next girl, but I just never get to dress up.  But as long as I have a pair of creased jeans on I feel professional and classy.
 
13) And finally, the 'handiest' person you know is?
MESA: My dad for sure.  He's the best hand I know with a horse and cattle.  My boyfriend, HD Page, is the best hand there is with bucking bulls.  I'm lucky to have been able to learn from both of them, and continue to!  My mom is the handiest woman I know, and who taught me you can be a lady and a hand at the same time.

 

6 comments: