Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Suck It Up Buttercup!

My glory days at University of Montana Western in Dillon, MT

I have had several people ask if I quit blogging (since I hardly ever update this!) and no I sure didn’t, I just haven’t had anything that has really moved me to write about. Until now that is. OK here’s the deal: I grew up on a ranch and grew up rodeoing.  My parents believed in hard work.  They were not the type of, “oh little Jimmy, you took the trash out today! Good for you, here’s $20”. My parents were more of the “it’s 5am, get your ass out of bed, here’s a fence stretcher and wire clips, if I see you back in this house before 7pm you aren’t going to have any chute help tonight.” That may seem harsh but my parents didn’t baby my brother and me, or constantly pat us on the back and reward us with gratification every time we did a chore.
A couple of my best friends and I on our ponies at a junior rodeo WAY back in the day!
 
 
While we didn’t play sports since we were home schooled, my folks did make it a point to haul us to rodeos from the time we were in the Junior divisions to when we graduated from High School. I am passionate about rodeo; it’s what taught me so many valuable life lessons growing up. I made lifelong friends, experienced unforgettable victories and felt great disappointment and frustration.  I firmly believe there is no better sport that teaches us from the time we are young about sportsmanship. Ah, sportsmanship, the one thing my parents were adamant about. I can honestly say, I never remember them hanging over the fence yelling at a judge or harassing stock contractors. They were level headed, whether I won or lost.
 

 I can recall very fondly my junior year of the State High School Finals. The previous year I had won the State Championship in the goat tying. I came into the Finals that year with a lead, however, in the 1st round my goat got up (rules stated back then, that the goat had to be down for 6 seconds, not sure if it’s changed since then). I was devastated.  I was certain that goat was down for over 10 seconds. The judge waved the flag signaling a no time. I wanted to spew out a line of cuss words that my mother would not be proud of, and pick up my goat string and fling it at the judge but I refrained (mainly because I knew that would result in a disqualification from the rodeo as well as a major ass chewing from my parents).  I walked out of the arena with my tail between my legs. No State Championship and no National High School Finals for me that year.  I remember fighting back tears on the long walk back to the trailer while several friends came up stating that I should go talk to my event director since my mom had it on the video camera showing how long the goat was tied! I already knew there would be no sympathy from mom and dad when I got back to the trailer but I really wanted to throw a two year old tantrum. “This is so unfair; one bad call from a judge took me out of a state championship!” I whined to my parents back at the trailer. I was greeted with a “Yeah that sucks, but guess what? That’s rodeo, you will get bad calls, so get over it” speech from mom and pops.

But times, they are a changin’! I recently read about a parent and contestant getting disqualified from the National High School Finals about a disagreement in the arena.  I have spoken with several judges that used to work the High School and College rodeos back when I was participating that do not judge those rodeo associations anymore. The reason?  Parents.  Parents, what are you teaching your kids by harassing judges and throwing fits in the arena?  You can’t punch a judge and get your way. Teach them respect and how to win with humility and lose with grace.  You have to respect the calls that you get in the arena, fair or unfair. Undoubtedly, unfair things will happen to you in this life, that’s part of it. This thing we call life is not always roses. So instead of making a scene in the arena and pouting over a no time or no score, pat your kid on the back and say “that’s rodeo, and I bet they will run another one in for you at the next one.”

And the stars of the story, my dear ol' mom and dad!
 

3 comments:

  1. Great parents who raised a great daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bailey!! So so so well written!!! It is unbelievable how some parents now a days spoil their children!! Not everyone needs to win 1st every time!! I am going to share this with some people here in Tripp County!! Thanks you very much!! Deb Steinke

    ReplyDelete